Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lost & Found

LOST & FOUND

These keys where LOST and FOUND this past week. Not to throw my wife under the bus but she lost them! We where on our way to some friends house for dinner. On the way we stopped to pick up some dessert and as we turned onto the busiest street in Roseville I heard a familiar sound. Like nails on a chalkboard, keys sliding from the roof of our car onto the street. I immediately ask my wife to look for her keys, she gives me the "I'm sorry look" as I pull over to begin the hunt. Yes it was dark, yes it was rainy, and yes the street was filled with cars driving way to fast. I began walking along the side of Douglas Blvd. in Roseville in search for our LOST keys. I was trying to catch the reflection from the street lights to see if I could spot the clump of keys on the rain glistened street. I walked a quarter of a mile down the road with no luck. It began to rain harder so I began running back to the car without our LOST keys.

I figured I would look for them in the morning when the sun had come out. After all they are metal, right, they should be fine, they won't break! Well in the morning as I turned the corner of Sierra College Blvd & Douglas there they where in the middle of the street. I quickly pulled over and grabbed them, poor keys, they where mangled, but FOUND!

Why do I share this story, well because I have been stuck on this Scripture from Luke 15:1-31. This portion of scripture is familiar to those that have been around the Church for any length of time. But it is Jesus telling three stories about a LOST sheep, a LOST coin and a LOST son all who where LOST & then FOUND. 

In Luke 15:1-3 the scripture says, "By this time a lot of men and women of doubtful reputation were hanging around Jesus, listening intently. The Pharisees and religion scholars were not pleased, not at all pleased. They growled, "He takes in sinners and eats meals with them, treating them like old friends." Their grumbling triggered this story."

Jesus was spending time with those who where LOST and the religious people didn't like it. So Jesus decides to share his heart for those that are LOST and his desire for them to be FOUND.

He talks about leaving 99 sheep and going to the wilderness to find the 1 LOST sheep. He talks about a woman scouring through her home to find a LOST coin in the dark, and a father throwing a party for his LOST son when he returns home and is FOUND.

Jesus' search for us, involved much more than walking in the rain, and the dark. Jesus search for us looked like Calvary, him hanging on a tree, seeking to show us, to prove to us, His love, His desire for us to be FOUND by him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment!
Tim Coburn