Friday, September 16, 2011

NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE

On Wednesday as I walked into the Renaissance Church office I heard a telephone message being taken for our on call Pastor. I quickly checked the calendar to see if I was on that week, unfortunately, not because of my excitement to serve those in need, but rather to see if my day and to do list would be interrupted by an inconvenient trip to the hospital. I sighed with an internal breathe of relief when my calendar revealed that I was not on that week.

A few moments after our administrator was done taking the message I heard footsteps inching towards my desk. I reluctantly turned around to address our gracious administrator as she explained how our on call Pastor had family in from out of town and was unable to respond to this request.

She went on to explain the situation, "A man from Anchorage, Alaska had called and asked for one of our Pastor's to go and visit and pray with a lifelong friend of his that is in her last week of life."

As I walk into the care facility off of Cirby Way in Roseville I was wondering why I was here, I thought to myself, I don't know this person in fact I don't even know the man from Anchorage that I am visiting on behalf of. I was reminded of the words of Jesus, "whatever you do for the least of these, you do it unto me". This provided my heart with motivation that this visit was not for growing the local church, it was not a favor for a friend, it wasn't about fulfilling any selfish ambitions, this visit was pure, because of that I became expectant of what God might do.

Before I left the church office I printed out the Romans Road to salvation in case I had the opportunity to share the gospel with Faye, the elderly woman in this care facility. As I walked into the room I was welcomed by one of Faye's friends that was there visiting. I introduced myself and asked to hear Faye's story.

She didn't share much except that she was in her last week of life and that she wanted someone to pray with her. I asked if she had heard and had an opportunity to respond to the good news of Jesus. She hadn't but wanted me to tell her. So I went through the Romans Road to salvation and as I read/preached to her tears began to fall on her cheeks.

At the end of my simple presentation I asked if she wanted to receive the gift of salvation and eternal life that Jesus purchased for her and she said, "YES!". I lead her in the sinners prayer and affirmed that her faith in Jesus has saved her and that she would be with Jesus forever in eternity.

After this amazing opportunity she began to express her concern for her two sons. She talked briefly about how desperately she wanted to see them and to make sure they were taken care of. I immediately began thinking of my two boys and the fragility of life and how quickly it comes and goes.

Faye's priorities blessed me, and reminded me of what is most important in this life. Taking care of my boys and living for eternal things. This life has much to offer but very little of what it has to offer will truly bring the fulfillment our souls long for.

What are your priorities? Will they leave you with regret when you look back upon your life? Or will your memories of a full, fulfilled life leave you with great peace? Its your choice, how will you live....

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Tim, thank you for sharing this. What a beautiful moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!
Tim Coburn